The living room is the heart of the home, the place where we go to relax and unwind. And it is usually the living room sofa we flop ourselves onto after a long day at work or at school, where we curl up and watch a movie or read a book, where we hang out with friends and family. The sofa is an integral part of our lives. We’ve already taken a look into the origins and history of the sofa, but what about the fun facts about sofas – those little nuggets of information that few of us know or have even thought about? Well, we’ve compiled some of them here. Enjoy!
1. The word ‘sofa’ dates back to 2000BC Egypt and derives from the Arabic word ‘suffah’ (which loosely translates as ‘bench’).
2. Over it’s lifespan the average sofa will host around 782 visitors. That’s a lot of bums on seats!
4. Your sofa will be used 489 times as a bed – 293 of those nights on the sofa will be the result of a domestic dispute.
6. We find on average £1.80 in out sofas every month. That equates to nearly £180 over the sofa’s lifetime.
8. The average sofa suffers 1,663 spillages over its lifetime. Wine will be spilt on it fortnightly, tea or coffee three times a week, and dinner six times a month.
10. You will watch roughly 782 movies whilst sitting on your sofa.